NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
The suspension comes after a San Diego woman alleged that Bauer beat and sexually abused her last year after meeting on social media. Bauer denies her allegation in the “strongest possible terms.”
The pitcher said he is appealing the decision from the MLB.
In the strongest possible terms, I deny committing any violation of the league’s domestic violence and sexual assault policy. I am appealing this action and expect to prevail,” Bauer said in a statement to Fox News Digital. “As we have throughout this process, my representatives and I respect the confidentiality of the proceedings.”
Bauer’s suspension will cover 324 games without pay. If the suspension is upheld, the 2020 National League Cy Young Award winner will lose about $60 million.
The discipline comes after a San Diego pitcher, whom the pitcher had met through social media, alleged Bauer beat and sexually abuser her last year and later sought a restraining order but was denied. Los Angeles prosecutors said in February there was insufficient evidence to prove the woman’s accusations beyond a reasonable doubt.
Bauer repeatedly has said everything that happened between him and the woman was consensual. Bauer’s representatives and the MLB players’ union will reportedly work out a schedule with MLB for taking the case before an arbitrator.
The pitcher earlier this week sued his accuser in federal court, three months after prosecutors decided not to file criminal charges against the pitcher. Bauer named the woman and one of her attorneys as defendants in the lawsuit.
“The damage to Mr. Bauer has been extreme” after the woman alleged that he had choked her into unconsciousness, punched her repeatedly and had anal sex with her without her consent during two separate sexual encounters last year, the lawsuit said.
Bauer denied the allegations. He said the two engaged in rough sex at his Pasadena home at her suggestion and followed mutually set guidelines in advance. He said each encounter ended with them joking and her spending the night.
MLB placed Bauer on administrative leave last July 2 under the joint domestic violence and sexual assault policy of the league and the players’ union.
Bauer signed a three-year, $102 million deal with the Dodgers in 2020. He hasn’t pitched since June 29 of that year.
“The Dodgers organization takes all allegations of this nature very seriously and does not condone or excuse any acts of domestic violence or sexual assault,” the Dodgers said in a statement. “We’ve cooperated fully with MLB’s investigation since it began, and we fully support MLB’s Joint Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, and Child Abuse Policy, and the Commissioner’s enforcement of the Policy. We understand that Trevor has the right to appeal the Commissioner’s decision. Therefore, we will not comment further until the process is complete.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.